Volleyball – Beach 4’s (Advanced)
There is only one format of Beach Volleyball – Advanced 4’s under SSC Rules. It is described in its entirety below.
All Volleyball games are approximately 60 minutes in length, with teams facing off against one opponent in a best of 5 match. Please arrive on time to ensure you get the full use of your allotted court time. Regardless of when your game begins your game will always end on time to allow the succeeding games to begin at their scheduled time.
Time Keeping: The SSC Ambassador on site will be keeping track of time and will determine the end of your game. In this instance, you will receive a warning indicating the final five (5) minutes of your game, a ‘Last Serve’ call and a final signal for the end of your game. Once the final signal occurs your game is over.
Changing Sides: Teams will change sides after each set.
Timeouts: Teams may call a one (1) minute time-out per match if needed.
Teams are comprised of four (4) players with a minimum of one (1) woman and one (1) man on the court at once. A team can play with a minimum of three (3) people, as long as one (1) player is a woman and one (1) player is a man. A default will occur if any team cannot field a squad by 10 minutes after the official start time.
Gender Numbers: Teams are comprised of four (4) players with a minimum of one (1) woman and one (1) man on the court.
Defaults: Teams will default a match if they cannot provide a full team 10 minutes after the scheduled start time. A team can play with a minimum of three (3) people, as long as one (1) player is a woman and one (1) player is a man. A team that is not ready to play defaults the first set of the match, but can play the second and third games of the match if enough players show up.
Exceptions: Both teams can agree to play with any number of people on the court up to four (4) players, with any ratio of females and males. If both teams agree, then the game counts.
All Beach Volleyball matches will take place on a regulation-sized Beach Volleyball Court.
- All equipment (poles, nets and balls) will be provided and set-up on-site by SSC staff.
- Teams are also responsible for keeping track of the score. Please designate one person to keep track of the score.
- Shoes are not permitted during game play. Socks or 'Water Shoes' are allowed.
Beach Volleyball 101
The following outlines the basis of the rules of Advanced Beach Volleyball Programs:
- Rally point scoring WILL be used during league play. The Cap is also at 21 points. Therefore, if the score is tied 20-20, the next point wins (first team to 21 points). If a match concludes early, the teams can continue to play, but the score of the fourth game will not be recorded.
- A server may serve the ball from anywhere along the baseline.
- A player may NOT block or spike while returning a serve.
- A player may play the ball off any part of his/her body, including feet.
- When digging a hard-driven spike, you may open hand dig (volley).
- With the exception of the hard-driven spike or block, you can never double-hit the first contact.
- You CANNOT receive the serve open handed (the serve is never considered a hard-drive spike regardless of its velocity), which mean you CANNOT volley off of a serve
- When intentionally volleying the ball across the net - the player's body and shoulders must be square to the target (backwards is OK)
- Balls that are volleyed and unintentionally cross the net due to the wind are legal.
- A player may not touch the net during any part of the play. Please call your own net violations.
- Rotate new players in before your team starts a new server.
- A player may pass under the net as long as it does not interfere with the play. In other words, a blocker or hitter may land under the net/cross the line, as long as it happens without stopping the play or hindering the opposition. Please avoid doing this where possible to eliminate the possibility of injury.
- If time runs out in the middle of a game, whoever is winning the game at that moment is considered the winner.
- If 10 minutes have elapsed after the official start of the game and not enough players are present to field a team, the first game of the match is defaulted. At 20 minutes after the start of the official start time, the second game is defaulted, and at 30 minutes after the official start time, the third game is defaulted. Each defaulted game results in the loss of one (1) point in the overall standings.
- Servers DO NOT rotate after winning five consecutive points. The same server continues to serve as long as his/her team successfully wins the point.
- Please be aware that ALL THREE games count towards the overall league standings and must be played. (i.e. DO NOT simply play a best 2 out of 3 game match)
- Net serves ARE allowed. This means that if a serve hits the net but the motion of the ball carries it over the net, it is a live ball - it is not a service fault
- Teams may call a one (1) minute time-out per match if needed.
- Games are played rain or shine!
All games are self-officiated. Any disputes will be discussed amongst the two team captains. Please play honestly and call your own infractions (lift, net, etc.). If a dispute cannot be settled the point should be re-served.
Regular Season Matches
Games can be tied during the regular season.
Playoffs Eligibility and Tiebreak
There must be a winner in a playoff match. In the event that the match ends in a tie, teams will partake in the following tie-breaker until a winner is determined:
In the playoffs, matches are best 3 out of 5. All five sets are to 21 points (capped at 21). If the fifth and deciding set is tied at the end of regulation time, teams will play one more point to determine the winner.
Any rough or physical play will result in immediate expulsion from further league play and may result in a lifetime league expulsion. Please see the Sport and Social Club General Policy for our official guidelines on this subject. It is recognized that incidental contact between players is inevitable; however, all players should go out of their way to avoid creating an unsafe play. This rule supersedes all others.
Please note that on-site staff members have full autonomy when supervising games. Games may be stopped entirely, players may be asked to leave the playing area or be removed from the game entirely under their discretion.
There are absolutely no alcoholic beverages permitted on SSC property. Any offenders will be asked to leave the league without refund. No exceptions.